Newbiggin Golf Club was conceived in 1884 when a group of local business men suggested to the freeholders that the Newbiggin moor should be used for the game of golf and our Golf Club has been a tenant to the freeholders for over 100 years.
An unusual activity takes place in the spring each year when any new freeholders are initiated by “Dunting” such persons on a special stone situated on the 8th Fairway followed by the riding on horseback around the bounds of their territory. This is a sight highly recommended to visitors.
The original wooden Club house was burnt down in 1921 along with all the golf records.
Unfortunately again tragedy struck for a second time in 1971 when fire destroyed the building.
A brick Club house was built in 1973/74 and forms the basis of what we see today.